The Million Dollar Theatre opened on February 1, 1918 with the film “The Silent Man.” Stars such as Mary Pickford and Charlie Chaplin attended the premiere.
The Million Dollar Theatre was the first of Grauman’s LA theaters. It was followed by the Egyptian and Chinese theaters in Hollywood.
The building’s architect, Albert C. Martin Sr., was a notable Los Angeles architect who commissioned a number of buildings including City Hall.
William Woollett, the theatre architect, drew inspiration from the book, “King of the Gold River.” Images from the book can be seen throughout the building.
The theatre has been featured in a few films shot on location including “Blade Runner” (1982) and the 2011 silent film “The Artist.”